Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It Never Satisfies

I just read Jeff Passan's article on former #1 Draft Pick of The Padres, Matt Bush.   It is an incredibly sad story.  Jeff Passan Article on Matt Bush

As I was reading I could not help but think of my own life.   While I could not throw a baseball 99 MPH, while I didn't play professional sports, while I never made millions, I did make a few of the same mistakes.   I thought there were things that could satisfy me. 

There is a new book out this week by Tiger Woods' old swing coach, Hank Haney.   Haney says that Tiger is rarely satisfied.  

A few years ago, Tom Brady was interviewed on 60 Minutes.   Brady said this,

"Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, 'Hey man, this is what is.' I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think, 'God, it's got to be more than this.' I mean this isn't, this can't be what it's all cracked up to be."
When queried for an answer to what that might be he added,

"I wish I knew. I wish I knew.  I love playing football and I love being quarterback for this team. But at the same time, I think there are a lot of other parts about me that I'm trying to find."

If you have read the Matt Bush article, you would know that he now sits in a jail cell.   Bail is set at $1,000,000.   About a third of his signing bonus a handful of years ago and about $998,000 more than he has now.   Another man, a 71 year old motorcyclist named Tony Tufano is in a hospital ICU with a brain injury sustained when Bush ran him over with an SUV last week.   Bush's blood alcohol level was .18.  

I can remember chasing things that I thought would satisfy.   Another beer.   Another joint.   Another girl.   Another job.  Another car.   Another round of golf.  Another anything.   Nothing, though, ever satisfied.   Nothing.  

A life chasing after the next thing that will satisfy will wind up like Little League trophies and High School Letterman's jackets.   They will either be thrown out or shoved in a box to be moved from house to house until someone throws them away.   

There is, however, someone who satisfies.   The One who satisfies will never go away.  Never tarnish.   Never disappoint.   Never leave. 

1 comment:

  1. I believe other website owners should take this internet site as an model, very clean and excellent user pleasant style and design. dbfz patch notes

    ReplyDelete